Sunday 27 January 2013

Albatross: Arthur Mace


The assignment to investigate a private investigator isn’t an unusual one. There are some who are above reproach; they have modelled themselves upon Sherlock Holmes, Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot. They work inside the law, help catch the bad guys and have discretion about which cases they accept. Then there are those who don’t. By all appearances, Arthur Mace is one who doesn’t.

I am a little bit more than suspicious about why we are investigating him though. There are plenty of dirty P.I’s operating in the city that we turn a blind eye to, so why is it that we are looking into the activities of this one?

The trail that we have been following through his accounts and dealings with criminal syndicates seems far too simple to me to be accurate. It’s almost unbelievable how obvious the trail is to follow. I am more than convinced that this is a setup, more than that, I am pretty sure that the trial is being set up for me to follow by the two men that I am supposed to be working with.

I am becoming increasingly concerned with Ellis and his obsession with the two daughters of Arthur Mace. From what I have seen they are both in their late teens and he is a man in his early thirties and all the photographs from the file of the two of them have disappeared. The index of the contents of the file states that there should be seven photos of the two girls in there, but I haven’t seen a single one.

When I tried to broach the subject with Rogers, he told me to mind my own business. I have been tempted three times to contact Arthur Mace directly but what I would say to him, I don’t know, and compromising this case would cost me my job. I don’t know what to do except to keep working on the case and try to expose Ellis and Rogers when evidence presents itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment